Haughmond Abbey

www.english-heritage.org.uk/haughmond

Upton Magna

Shrewsbury

Shropshire

SY4 4RW

(Get Directions)

01743 709661

Haughmond Abbey

View:

Description

Haughmond Abbey, which is sometimes referred to as the Abbey of St John the Evangelist, is located only four miles outside of Shrewsbury and of the three houses of Austin canons established in Shropshire.

Haughmond Abbey was founded in 1135 by William Fitzalan and is the older of the three houses. The Abbey is set in a beautiful setting on the sloping site of Haughmond Hill which is well tread and show impressive remains. 

The colouring of the mellowed stone against the green of the lawns and the trees make the remains particularly lovely. The ruins includes parts of the chapter house, refectory and the latter infirmary of the 14th Century, but only the foundations of the abbey church.

Close by on the hill is the spot known as Douglas's Leap - where the Earl of Douglas, in flight from the Battle of Shrewsbury, was thrown from his horse and captured by Henry IV's men.

Possibly the best preserved part of the site is Chapter House, which retains the intricate carvings of Saints set into the arches. From left to right the saints are thought to be:-

  • St Augustine
  • St Thomas Beckett
  • St Catherine of Alexandria
  • St John the Evangelist
  • St John the Baptist
  • St Margaret of Antioch
  • St Winifred
  • St Michael

When the Abbey was in use, the canons would meet in the Chapter House to discuss the day-to-day running of the Abbey and religious business with the abbot.

Inside the Chapter House, you can find a number of tombstones on display and an octagonal font, which may have been removed from the church, most of which no longer survives today.

The Battle of Shrewsbury between King Henry IV and the rebels led by Henry 'Hotspur' Percy in 1403 took place near Haughmond Abbey, approximately two miles to the north-west of the abbey. The site of the battlefield can still be visited today.

The Abbey was finally dissolved in 1539 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII. At this time, there were ten canons and the abbot in residence.

Following the dissolution, the Abbey passed to Sir Edward Littlejohn and later Sir Rowland Hill and the Barker Family. The site is now in the care of English Heritage.

Please see our website for current opening times.

Gallery

Move your mouse over the thumbnails below to enlarge the photos.

Haughmond Abbey Image 2
Haughmond Abbey Image 2
Haughmond Abbey Image 3
Haughmond Abbey Image 3
Haughmond Abbey Image 4
Haughmond Abbey Image 4
Haughmond Abbey Image 5
Haughmond Abbey Image 5

Facilities

Picnic Site On-site car parking Parking (free) Groups Acepted Special Group rates Min group size Max group size Marketed towards families Marketed towards senior citizens Guided Tours Available for Groups Educational Visits Accepted Guide Dogs Permitted

Directions

Located 3 miles North East of Shrewsbury on B5062.

Disclaimer

The details displayed on this page are correct at the time of publication however, Shropshire Tourism would like to advise all visitors to check prices & opening times with the venue prior to traveling in case of changes that might have occured since the publication of this page. Whilst Shropshire Tourism endeavours to ensure that the information on this site is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy and Shropshire Tourism does not accept any liability for error or omission. The directions above are for planning purposes only and should be used alongside a general roadmap or satnav system. Variables such as road/construction works, traffic, weather conditions etc may cause alterations to the route.

In compliance with current legislation this website only uses cookies that are strictly necessary to its operation and functionality.